Goodwood Motor Circuit opens on a former RAF airfield and races for the first time.

Motor racing came to Goodwood because the war did. A Battle of Britain fighter station was left standing idle when peace came, and its perimeter road was already the shape of a racing lap. Britain gained a circuit without anyone having to build one, and the opening meeting launched the driver who came to define the place.
RAF Westhampnett flew Spitfires as a satellite of Tangmere right through the Battle of Britain. The perimeter road running round the edge of the airfield caught the eye of Freddie March, the 9th Duke of Richmond. He was a racing driver himself, and had won the Double Twelve endurance race at Brooklands in 1931. The first meeting was held on 18 September 1948, and 85 drivers and a crowd of more than 15,000 turned up. Paul Pycroft's modified Jaguar won the opening race. Reg Parnell's Maserati 4CLT then took the Goodwood Trophy, the feature race that closed the day. Stirling Moss won the 500cc race in a Cooper-JAP by nearly 26 seconds, the day after his 19th birthday. He was far enough ahead that after two laps his father signalled him to slow down. Moss came back for fourteen seasons and won 22 of his 62 races here, including four of his seven Tourist Trophy victories. People came to call him Mr Goodwood.

























